EXTREME COLD WEATHER ADVISORY- Saturday Evening
In anticipation of the extreme drop in temperatures, please note the following tips:
1) Make sure all windows are closed and locked especially in KITCHENS and BATHROOMS. Locking tightens the seal and helps avoid DRAFTS which contribute to frozen pipes.
2) If your kitchen or bathroom is near or has a window in it, please do not close the door. Also keep the bottom kitchen cabinet doors open to allow heat to warm the pipes under the sink.
3) As temperature drops, generally so does humidity. Making use of a humidifier is beneficial to one’s health.
In the event of electrical or heating system failure, keep the following items in your apartment:
1) Flashlight and extra batteries,
2) Extra water,
3) Extra blankets,
4) High calorie, non perishable foods,
5) Extra medicine,
6) Supplies to care for infants, the elderly and pets,
7) Fire extinguisher, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors,
8) Battery powered or hand crank emergency radio with NOAA weather radio,
9) If necessary, food can be moved from your freezer to outside to avoid spoilage.
Public Service Electric & Gas Company (PSE&G) cautions that while carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning is a year-round threat, it is more common when fuel heating appliances are in use. PSE&G urges customers to take extra preventative measures during winter to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning, and maintain a heightened awareness of the symptoms.Symptoms of poisoning include headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain and confusion. Symptoms can occur immediately or gradually after long-term exposure. People who are sleeping can die from CO poisoning before ever experiencing any of these warning signs. It affects people of all ages, but infants and children are even more susceptible than adults. If you think high levels of CO are in your home or business: Go outside!
The First Line of Defense against CO poisoning is to make sure all fuel-burning appliances operate and are maintained properly. These appliances include furnaces, water heaters, ranges, space heaters, and clothes dryers. Improperly vented fireplaces and charcoal grills can also give off CO. Never use ovens or clothes dryers to heat the house. Install carbon monoxide detectors as back-up protection, not as a substitute for proper use and maintenance of the fuel-burning appliances. CO alarms can provide an early warning to consumers before CO builds up to a dangerous level. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends placing a carbon monoxide alarm in every area of your house or business. If just one alarm is installed, it should be placed near the sleeping rooms of the house. Check the batteries regularly.Do not allow vehicles, lawnmowers, snow blowers or any gasoline powered engine to idle in a garage, basement or any enclosed space. CO can drift into the living space and create a hazardous situation.
If you think high levels of CO are in your home or business: Get outside! If there's a medical emergency, such as someone falling unconscious, get the person outside to fresh air and call 911. Wait outside, or go to a neighbor’s home, until help arrives and call PSEG at 1-800-880-7734 (PSEG)
A Hurricane is Coming... Be Prepared!
News reports indicate a hurricane is heading our way, or at the least some very nasty weather! If you live in an apartment building this video includes some tips to be prepared that your property manager should already be checking.
DELUCO Displays a Bad Roof
Tony DeLuco, President and CEO of DELUCO Organization, displays what a bad roof - which can cost condo owners big money if not taken care of - looks like. This is not a DELUCO managed building, but if your roof does have these issues, and your property manager isn't taking care of it, contact us because we will get the job done!